Now that the last victim has been recovered we will need to reach a decision about this very soon. There will also be a great deal of pressure to open it fully before the University semester begins on September 4th.
Suggestions range from keeping it closed to opening:
- only to bikes and pedestrians,
- or to bikes, pedestrians and public transit,
- or to all of the above plus official University vehicles,
- or to all traffic.
Even if we open it to all traffic, there have been some ideas about making that work better including:
- adding a fence to the upstream side to increase safety in case people walk or bike out and want to see the site and
- putting in a physical barrier of some kind (perhaps semi-permanent plastic bollards) to prevent northbound cars exiting 35W at Washington Ave from changing lanes and taking a left at 15th Ave S (near the Holiday Inn) to cross on the 10th Ave bridge. This would prevent the 10th Ave bridge from becoming the de facto northbound detour of I-35W.
It would be useful to me to use this blog to hear your thoughts and concerns about this and perhaps engage in a little discussion before the decision is made (this week perhaps). That way I can provide feedback to our City staff.