Proposed Street Lighting Policy
The Minneapolis Public Works Department is finalizing its Street Lighting Policy and Program which has been in the development process for several years. They will be having nine community open houses in September 2007 at various locations. These meetings will serve as opportunities to share information about the proposed Policy, as well as gather community input. Go here for more information.
The proposed Policy is designed to support the City's efforts around livable communities and urban development. Appropriate lighting levels are a security and safety issue. A policy will help to ensure that all areas of Minneapolis receive consistent treatment, and will give clear guidance to elected officials, residents, developers, and Public Works on all aspects of street lighting system installation and maintenance. It will address a number of issues including:
- Clarification of internal practices
- Equalization of independent initiatives
- Areas with limited lighting
- Improvement of lighting in pedestrian areas
- Safety concerns
- A simplified process for installation
- Technical efficiencies and sustainability
The Street Lighting Policy objectives are:
- Maximizing the quality, sustainability, and visibility of the street lighting system
- Contributing to added comfort and safety for pedestrians, bicyclist, transit users, and Motorists
- Creating a consistent and cohesive lighting system based in place-type characteristics throughout the City
- Providing pole and fixture options that are aesthetically pleasing and high quality
- Providing clear guidance on expected installation methods, procedures and maintenance service levels
- Creating a system that is cost efficient, easy to operate, and maintainable
- Addressing costs to the City's capital, maintenance, and operations budgets
The following is a list of dates and locations for the open houses. Each open house is scheduled from 7-8:30 p.m. Please share the information regarding the meeting dates and locations with your neighborhood or business organizations.
- Thursday, Sept 6, 2007-City Hall Room 220, 350 Fifth St. S.
- Tuesday, Sept 11, 2007-Powderhorn Park, 3400 15th Ave. S.
- Wednesday, Sept 12, 2007-Harrison Park, 503 Irving Ave. N.
- Tuesday, Sept 18, 2007-Lynnhurst Park, 1345 Minnehaha Pkwy. W.
- Wednesday, Sept 19, 2007-Creekview Park, 5001 Humboldt Ave. N.
- Thursday, Sept 20, 2007-Waite Park, 1801 34th Ave. NE
- Tuesday, Sept 25, 2007-Nokomis Park, 2401 Minnehaha Pkwy. E.
- Wednesday, Sept 26, 2007-Van Cleve Park, 901 15th Ave. SE
- Thursday, Sept 27, 2007-Kenwood Park, 2101 Franklin Ave. W.
Public Works will also be posting this information on its Web site along with related information. If you have comments, please forward them to Beverly Warmka, 612-370-3973.